Port Dickson or PD to locals is a beach
This small town used to produce charcoal,
but it was later developed as a small port by the British
during the Strait Settlement period.
Port Dickson was also known as Tanjung.
In Malay language that means "cape".
The oldest shophouses were the four situated presently at Jalan Lama.
There was also a carbon mine at the first mile
of the coast road (Jalan Pantai),
and therefore Port Dickson was also called "Arang" (charcoal)
in the Malay language.
Tin ore was plentiful in Lukut,
an area within the Port Dickson district,
during the 1820s,
and it attracted Chinese immigrant miners.
The British considered the area to have great potential as a harbour.
It was intended to supersede the port in Pengkalan Kempas.
The in-charge officer's name was Dickson,
and thereafter the town was named Port Dickson.
Others claim that Sir John Frederick Dickson
founded Port Dickson and Pulau Arang in 1889.
Port Dickson evolved into a busy trading centre.
Railways were constructed to facilitate the growth
and development of Port Dickson.
Although Port Dickson experienced rapid development,
the beautiful beaches are fairly well preserved.
Now, Port Dickson has become not only a beautiful tourist destination,
but a large municipality with about 89,000 residents.
Port Dickson is among the tourist attractions in Negeri Sembilan.
Key factor of this coast visited by many tourists
and local people
because this is the only beach in Negeri Sembilan.
Furthermore, close ranges between Port Dickson
and states vicinity
such as Malacca and Selangor
also contribute to the city development.
By Wei Ling , 5 Alpha